What is home care for the elderly?
Elderly home care services are growing increasingly popular, with senior citizens and their loved ones opting to receive the care they need from the comfort of their own home rather than moving into a residential care home. Home care services for older people are available throughout the UK, and the service consists of a carer either visiting or living at home with an elderly person in need of assistance and help with their day to day life.
Home carers for the elderly can help with all of the following:
- Domestic duties such as cooking and cleaning
- Personal care such as washing and dressing
- Helping with mobility and getting around the home
- Assisting with medication
- Shopping and running errands
- Enabling you to remain social by taking you to visit friend and family
- Pet care
- Providing general companionship
Elderly live in care
We provide a live-in care service for the elderly, where one of our specially trained and handpicked carers will come and live in your home with you or your loved one to provide the care you need and to help you keep as much of your independence as possible. Live in carers will need their own room in your home, and are there to help throughout the day and night, 24-7.
Elderly home care visits
We also provide a visiting home care service where care visits can be scheduled around your lifestyle. Whether you just need a carer to visit once a day to administer medication, once a week to clean the house or even once a month just to provide companionship, we can work to your requirements.
When should I consider elderly home care?
There are a number of scenarios that may make you want to consider elderly home care:
- If you find it difficult to look after yourself, but don’t want to go into a care home
- You are having trouble with washing, dressing or other personal care
- You can no longer cook and clean due to mobility issues
- You have trouble remembering important things such as doctor’s appointments
- You are feeling lonely and would like a companion
We also provide specialist home care for those that might have specific requirements:
- Dementia home care
- After stroke care at home for those recovering from a stroke
- Home from hospital care for those that need temporary or long term care after returning from a hospital visit
- Learning and physical disabilities care
How to start home care for elderly people
The process of starting home care for the elderly is quite simple. First, you need to choose your home care provider. Good Oaks Home Care is much more than just an elderly home care agency, as we employ, train and appraise all of our staff. We are with you along every step of your care journey to support you and make sure you are matched with the right carer. If you need elderly home care, follow these steps:
- Contact our care experts, or email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options or arrange a free, no obligation consultation. You can also get in touch with your most local office here
- We will come and meet you in your home at a time and date which suits you. Here, we can assess your needs and answer your questions
- We work alongside you to find a carer with the right skills and personality to be your perfect match
- We arrange for your elderly home care to start, and provide a fully managed service with regular reviews and appraisals of our carers to ensure they are meeting your needs.
Who pays for elderly care at home?
For private elderly home care, you will need to pay for the service. There are, however, funding options. Your local council might be able to help with the cost of care, and there are benefits available such as Attendance Allowance and Personal Independence Repayments which can help.
Our Elderly Home Care Ethos
Growing old in the home and community you love, and that loves you, can be a wonderful experience. With the right support, care and equipment, we believe being frail is not a barrier to having a rich and enjoyable life.
When approaching elderly and frail care, we make absolutely sure we get the basics right, and build on these. Nutrition, hydration, dignity, respect and continuity of care are at the heart of our service. With these in place, we continually strive to improve quality of life for our elderly clients.
- Good continuity of care
- Expertise and knowledge of frail care
- Ability to liaise with occupational therapists and falls teams
- Dignity in Care registered carers
Fully regulated elderly home care service
Our elderly home care service is fully regulated by the CQC, and we have been awarded a ‘Good’ rating for being safe, effective, caring, responsive and well-led. We always strive to provide the best care possible, and that is reflected in both our CQC rating and the quality of care our carers provide.
Mrs H has just celebrated her 105th birthday. Good Oaks was called by her friend, who was worried about Mrs H’s ability to manage after she’d had a fall.
Good Oaks’ manager visited Mrs H to talk about her elderly home care needs, and agreed with Mrs H a package of care to keep her safe at home.
Good Oaks started visiting twice daily. As time progressed, our visits increased in duration and frequency in response to her changing needs. As Mrs H doesn’t have any family in the area, Good Oaks regularly liaises with her friends and arranges appointments with health professionals when required.
Our friendly carers continue to provide companionship and help prompt her to exercise when they visit, as well as unobtrusively monitoring her fluid intake and how well she’s eating. We regularly review her care package to confirm that the care plan is meeting her needs.
Mrs H remains independent and living at home well into her 10th decade. Good Oaks now provides a live-in care package to provide her with a higher level of support and companionship. Her friends and GP continue to support her in partnership with Good Oaks.
Good Oaks has acted responsibly and flexibly when looking after Mrs H. Her needs have always taken precedent and they’ve changed and updated their care plan regularly. I’m really pleased that they listen to and work with Mrs H’s friends and family.more testimonials